Spinach & Beef Crepes
These crepes are a delicious side to serve with a brothy hot soup on a cold winter day. I used to fill them with onion, beef, and egg alone, but recently added spinach (thanks for the idea Kristina!) and capers to the recipe. These can be eaten with sour cream or some fresh lemon, I much prefer the latter.Ingredients:
2 cups Whole Milk
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Water
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Stick of Butter (for frying)
6 Eggs, hard boiled & finely grated
1.5 lbs. Ground Beef
1 Medium Onion, finely diced
~4 Generous Handfuls of Spinach, chopped
2 tbsp. Capers
1 Lemon, cut into wedges for serving with the crepes
1. For the filling, bring 6 eggs to a boil in a small pot. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain the hot water and allow the eggs to sit in cold water to cool thoroughly.
2. For the crepes, in a large bowl, beat 4 eggs until the mixture is homogeneous. Add in the whole milk and beat again. Continue beating the mixture as you add in your flour. Then add the water and salt.
3. Prepare a nonstick skillet by heating it over medium heat. Once it’s hot, lightly coat the skillet with butter. Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the buttered skillet. Tilt the skillet around to spread the batter evenly. Cook for about 1 minute. Flip the crepe using a spatula and cook for about 30-40 more seconds on the second side. Once the crepe is done, place it on a plate. Continue to do this with the rest of the batter adjusting cooking time if necessary. Add the finished crepes on top of the previous ones. If you want to make your crepes in advance, wrap them in saran wrap to keep them moist until you use them.
4. To prepare the filling, start with sauteing the onion. Once the onion if fairly translucent add your ground beef. Mix and break apart the ground beef to ensure it crumbles properly until it is thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl, combine the chopped spinach, the cooled beef, and the finely grated eggs. Mix well.
6. To roll the crepes, place about 3 tbsp of the meat filling onto the crepe.
7. Fold in the sides of the crepes and roll the crepes (rolling them away from you).
8. Before serving the crepes heat them up on a skillet over low to medium heat, turning them occasionally so they warm evenly. Serve the meat crepes hot with some lemon wedges to squeeze over the crepes.