This beetroot salad has become one of my favorites. It’s very healthy and my little girl happens to love it as well. I always make a large bowl of this salad because it will last a while in the fridge. Some other optional ingredients to add are:
(1) Sauerkraut –> I think sauerkraut is added to the salad traditionally.
(2) Kidney Beans (instead of the peas) –> I’m not a kidney bean fan and the peas give the salad a nice burst of color.
(3) Diced Apple (instead of the pickles) –> The apples give the salad a very refreshing taste, but I just love dill pickles.
4 Medium-Large Beets
3 Large Carrots
2 Medium Potatoes
3 Dill Pickles
1 Small Yellow Onion
1 Cup Frozen Peas
2 TBSP Sunflower Oil
2 TBSP Champagne Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cover the beets with water in a pot, bring them to a boil, and keep them at a low boil for an hour. Strain the water and set aside to let the beets cool. When cooled, peel and dice the beet root.
2. Peel the carrots and halve them lengthwise. Place the carrots in a pot with water, bring them to a boil and boil them for about 20 minutes or until the carrots begin to be tender. You don’t want the carrots to become mushy. When cooled, dice the carrots.
3. Peel and dice the potatoes. Place the diced potatoes in a pot of water and bring them to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes or just until the potatoes start becoming tender. Once again, you don’t want the potatoes to be mushy.
4. Thaw the frozen peas. Dice the dill pickles and the onion. Mix all your ingredients in a large bowl and add the sunflower oil and champagne vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!