This recipe is a great way to get your kids to eat spinach! Cella loves these spinach squares. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can mix all the ingredients well in advance and bake them a day later (useful when entertaining).
1+1/8 Cup All-Purpose Flour (1 cup + 2 TBSP)
1 TSP Baking Powder
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper (optional)
2 TBSP Flaxseeds
1 1/2 Lbs Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed
8 oz Swiss or Gruyere Cheese, grated
1 Onion, diced
3 Cloves Garlic. minced
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, some more for top layer
1. Lay your frozen spinach out on a clean rag to thaw.
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, flaxseeds, and cayenne pepper.
2. Beat the eggs lightly in a small bowl. Keeping the spinach in a rag, squeeze out all the water and add it to the eggs. Combine the egg and flour mixture. Whisk until well combined.
3. Add the spinach, grated cheese, garlic, and the diced onion to the bowl. Mix all the ingredients until well combined.
4. Spray a 9 x 13″ pan with cooking spray. Transfer the spinach mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top of the spinach. Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the spinach cool off a bit. Cut into squares and enjoy while they’re still warm.