1 Cup Rice, uncooked
3 Large Bell Peppers
8 oz Portabella Mushrooms, chopped
1 Small Onion, diced
1 Small Carrot, shredded
4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, chopped
1/2 Cup Frozen Sweet Corn, thawed
15 oz Can Black Beans, drained
1/2 Cup Salsa
~6 oz Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend, plus extra for garnishing
Handful of Cilantro, chopped
1 Cup Greek Yogurt + Salt, to taste
Scallions & Extra Cilantro for Garnishing
1. Cook your rice to package instructions. I used Jasmine rice because that’s my favorite, but any rice will work for this recipe.
2. Half your bell peppers and remove the center and seeds. Set them aside as you prepare the stuffing. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Chop your mushrooms and onion and begin sauteing them with some olive oil. Add some taco seasoning to the mushrooms and onions. Once the mushrooms dry out a little, 5-10 minutes, add the shredded carrots and the garlic to the pan. Continue to saute for another few minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and remove from the heat. Now you can add the thawed corn, beans, and salsa.
7. Meanwhile, mix a little salt and chopped scallions with the Greek yogurt. Remove the peppers from the oven when they’re done, top them with a little of the shredded cheese, add some Greek yogurt on top, and garnish with fresh cilantro and scallions. Any left over stuffing can be served on the side with your pepper. Leftovers make for a great lunch the following day.